A bushfire sparked by the continuing drought in California continued to threaten coastal homes early Friday in Orange County, forcing hundreds evacuated for less than 15% of the fire.
While the cause of the fire is unknown and still being investigated, the blaze was reported ‘timely ‘by the time of the explosion, Southern California Edison (SCE) said in an initial incident report Wednesday night.
Temperatures are expected to be 10 to 15 degrees above average Friday into the weekend and into next week in California and the Southwest.
About 900 residences have been evacuated, the Orange County Sheriff’s Captain said.
Orange County Fire Chief Brian Fennessy said such a bushfire had once been relatively small.
An area of the fire was cordoned off with red and yellow crime signs, and officers said it could be as area of interest or a risk towards the line of fire.
Wildfires in California peaked in late summer and autumn last year.
Evacuations for neighborhoods impacted by the #CoastalFire will remain in place overnight as crews continue to work to render the area safe.
All evacuation areas can be found here and are updated in real time: https://t.co/EjbCHNV5qO.
— OCFA PIO (@OCFireAuthority) May 12, 2022